Courses (DECK CADETS)
The Deck Officer has skills in all aspects of the Navigation of ships, cargo handling operations and storage, ship stability, ship maneuvering and ship management. Navigation today uses both satellite and other electronic means but a fundamental understanding of more traditional techniques is still vital to cope with all possible situations. Seamanship and safety are also of great importance for in spite of all the safeguards allowed by modern technology the sea will forever be a hostile environment. All of these skills will be learned by a mixture of training and practical experience. The ultimate goal of the Deck officer is to become Master of his/her own ship; leadership skills and man management are, therefore, also essential ingredients here.
A career at sea is both arduous and rewarding. It offers a high level of job satisfaction; a wide experience and challenging work environment. Experienced mariners are in great demand in various shore assignments because of their ability to handle all types of jobs, their resourcefulness, sense of responsibility and ability to work under most demanding circumstances. A deck officer is very valuable and responsible member of ship's team. He has to navigate the ship from one port to another in all circumstances with caution and safety at all times and maintains the equipment operated him in good working order. This gives him watch experience and tremendous confidence. However, it must be understood that the life of an officer is tough, and not suited for the weak hearted. But there are compensation as well a class III certificate of competence holder starts as a third officer (approx Salary: US$ 3000) with prospectus of becoming a master in about 8 years (approx salary US$ 7000-14000) plus leave and allowances.
DIPLOMA IN NAUTICAL SCIENCE (DNS) - 12 MONTHS
- Candidate should have Passed in HSC (10+2) or equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English as separate subjects with a PCM average of not less then 55
- Candidate possessing B.Sc. Degree in Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry or Electronics with Physics as individual subject in one of the year, with an average of not less than 55% of marks in the final year,
- Candidate possessing B.E./B. Tech. Degree from I.I.T or from a college recognized by AICT
- Maximum 25 years of age as on 1st of January or 1st of August.
- Medically fit as per the standards set by M. S. Medical Examination Rules.,
Candidates have to qualify a full eyesight test conducted by the Mercantile Marine Department before being finally selected for the course. They should have 6/6 in each eye without visual aids and should be free from color blindness.